Scala 3 New Features
Learn Scala 3 new features without learning the language all over again. A short course for Scala 2 developers.
Learn Scala 3 new features now.
If you're reading this, you're a Scala developer. Unless you've been like Tom Hanks in Cast Away, you know Scala just took a major leap: Scala 3 is a revolutionary step in the evolution of the language and there are lots of changes to simplify our lives as developers. LOTS of them.
Geting yourself familiar with Scala 3 new features can be a challenge, since there are so many changes in the language, a million places on the web describing bits and pieces, and your time is limited. If you're like me, you don't want to spend dozens of hours scouring the web or learning the upgraded Scala 3 Essentials and Advanced courses here on Rock the JVM all over again.
This course will show you just the new features in Scala 3,
so you can upgrade your skills as fast as possible.
Skills you'll get after taking this course
- understand how the Scala language and runtime changed
- use the new abstractions in Scala 3
- use new simplified syntax in Scala 3
- maintain your code style in Scala 3 (if conservative)
- change your code style in Scala 3 to braceless and indentation (if adventurous)
- cut the removed features of Scala 2 out of your code before upgrading to Scala 3
- organize your code better with the new importing features
- interoperate better with Java
How this course helps you
- it walks you through each important change in the language so you know what to do at work
- it gives you examples that are relevant for real Scala projects
- it gives you just the tips you need, without going through basics all over again
- it organizes the changes that will likely affect you, so that you won't spend time asking "how is this relevant?"
- it selects and sequences out the topics so they click in your head
The main value of the course is that it saves you time.
This course is compact and will give you everything you need in just 4 hours. By comparison, I've spent thousands of hours learning everything there is to know about Scala here for Rock the JVM, and I've stalked the Scala 3 repo and studied the impact of Scala 3 changes for hundreds of hours, so that you get the same insight in an afternoon instead of a month.
Short as it is, the course packs a punch - we write 1000+ lines of code in this course! If you know my style, you know I like to get straight to the point and I won't waste a minute of your time.
Time is your most valuable resource. My pledge to you is that in this course, you'll spend it well.
I'm a software engineer and the founder of Rock the JVM. I started the Rock the JVM project out of love for Scala and the technologies it powers - they are all amazing tools and I want to share as much of my experience with them as I can.
As of June 2021, I've taught Java, Scala and related tech (e.g. Akka, Cats, Spark) to 41000+ students at various levels and I've held live trainings for some of the best companies in the industry, including Adobe and Apple. I've also taught university students who now work at Google and Facebook (among others), I've held Hour of Code for 7-year-olds and I've taught more than 20000 kids to code.
I have a Master's Degree in Computer Science and I wrote my Bachelor and Master theses on Quantum Computation. Before starting to learn programming, I won medals at international Physics competitions.